Peel has accomplished new levels of success addressing intersectional social justices. However, 2SLGBTQ+ communities still face transphobic and homophobic violence leading to social isolation, lack of belonging, physical and emotional distress, and an overall lack of visibility within the landscape of the region. The 2SLGBTQ+ Collaborative is made up of 10 organizations working in the community service sector. This table seeks to champion meaningful 2SLGBTQ+ inclusion by taking a community-based and community-centered approach to equity.
(YBB) Program provides confidential services for youth who identify within LGBTTI QQ2S communities.
- The YBB Program provides confidential services for youth aged 12-17 who identify as 2SLGBTQ+, through weekly support and education groups, individual counselling, and through social media. The YBB Program also offers community capacity building around 2SLGBTQ+ inclusion.
- The youth group and counselling supports use an Anti-Racist, LGBTTIQQ2S-affirming framework. Our groups offer connection to community, support and referrals to mental health services, if needed. Topics covered include current events related to queer and trans communities, relationships, and embodiment of sexualities and genders.
- The individual counselling allows youth to explore their identities and lived experiences, and uncover ways of moving, operating, and thinking that are helpful in their lives. The counselling component is community-based and utilizes a strengths-based, client centered approach.
- Additionally, a monthly group for parents/caregivers of youth who identify as trans/gender fluid is offered in the community.
CMHA Dufferin-Peel offers
- Services that are inclusive of the 2SLGBTQ+ Community
East Mississauga Community Health Centre‘s services include:
- Support and social drop-ins
- One-to-one support and referral sessions
- Confidential phone, email and Facebook contact
- Queer and Trans primary health care and trans-specific health care
- Advocacy around queer and trans issues
- Referral to queer and trans positive services including counselling
- Consultations with service providers, allies and families of queer and trans folks
- Collaboration with community organizations on joint initiatives including education and trainings
- Trans-Activate – a drop-in program that takes place on a weekly basis each Wednesday evening from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. – snacks and drinks are provided.
- QX – a drop-in program that takes place on a weekly basis each Thursday evening from 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. – snacks and drinks are provided.
Family Services of Peel offers:
- Counselling services for members of the 2SLBTQ+ community in Peel
- “Generations” is a weekly support group held at our Mississauga Office (151 City Centre Drive. Suite 501). For the group schedule, please contact our Intake Department at (905)-453-5775.
Indus Community Services offers:
- Family Services program provides crisis intervention, counselling, family court support, mediation, case conferencing and day-to-day support to youth and adults.
- Staff members trained in Risk Assessment and Holistic Crisis Intervention and Planning.
- Intersections program provides a safe space for newcomers to receive responsive personalized counselling support and information regarding settlement with a 2SLGTBQ+ lens, strengthening social networks, and decreasing isolation.
- Private and confidential 1 on 1 settlement support.
- Linkages to external services such as income tax clinics, legal aid, and other relevant community services.
- Workshops, presentations, & information sessions; Resource library, movie nights, arts and crafts, and fun activities.
Interim Place offers:
- Dynamic anti-violence organization providing shelter, counselling, advocacy supports for women, youth, and children experiencing violence in the Region of Peel
- Interim Place works within a feminist, anti-oppressive, anti-racist, queer and trans positive, disability positive, harm reduction framework
- Peer support group programme for trans women
- All services (shelter and community supports) are inclusive of 2SLGBTQ+ women
Moyo Health & Community Services offers:
- Gender Journeys, explores gender identity and roles
- HIV counselling, systems navigation, support
- Totally Outright, 2SLGBTQ+ Leadership Project
- Queer Minds, weekly mental health group for 2SLGBTQ+ community members
- Gay men’s sexual health promotion
- PrEP and PEP education & support
- Fee for service 2SLGBTQ+ Inclusion Training & Capacity Building
- All services are 2SLGBTQ+ inclusive
- PCHS offers services for seniors, families, youth, and individuals/families looking for help in the areas of settlement, mental health and addictions related issues.
- All services provided are inclusive of the LGBTQ+ community.
Services & Housing in the Province (SHIP) offers:
- Health service and housing support provider
- Mental and physical health services through in-house service teams and partnerships with community-based agencies
- We currently provide programming that aims to address service gaps for 2SLGBTQ+ folks
- All services are 2SLGBTQ+ inclusive